Monday, May 17, 2010

Haven't killed it yet..........

I was going through some boxes during Spring Break and I found  a gift certificate from our local greenhouse that I received from the parent organization at my school that closed last year.  It was going to expire so I headed off to the greenhouse to see what I could get that I couldn't kill.

I wouldn't necessarily say I have a black thumb.  Plants that come up on their own every year and don't require regular watering do pretty well at my house.  I have a spot on the west side of my house that gets a lot of sun and needed a little pop.  I already have some mini irises there.........

I also transplanted some bushy things that get purple shoots (I have no clue what they are called) that have survived for quite a while so I thought I would give them a shot.  There is also a small mum plant that manages to survive.  I needed something for an area where the kitchen wall meets the area of the dining room that juts out.  I gave my requirements to Lisa (she knows I know nothing about plants), west side, full sun, will get watered when Mother Nature decides to do it..........She made a few suggestions and then took me outside to show me a rose bush.  I was leary, I've always heard people say how much work roses are.  She assured me that these could survive even me and that my gift certificate would just cover it.  So I brought home a Knockout Rose Bush.  No care needed except to trim it back a little in the spring so it doesn't get really big.  It is mid-May and it is still alive and even blooming!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment