Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Bad rehearsal, good performance

After 12 years of doing programs with students one would think that I would have learned by now that the dress rehearsal is ALWAYS going to be a disaster.  ALWAYS!!!

Yet when it comes to performance time even the most frustrating child will find the halo and be the perfect angel.  After 12 years you would think I would quit driving myself insane between the rehearsal and the performance.  You would think that I would be able to sit down, relax, eat, go with the flow, but no, always a nervous wreck. 

It happened last Thursday with the 4th and 5th graders.  Their program was a smashing success.  It happened today with the Kindergarten and 1st grade.  Their program was awesome.  It will happen next week with the 2nd and 3rd graders.  At some I will want to bang my head against a brick wall.  Why, oh, why must this be the cardinal rule of concerts??? 

A teacher friend of mine has the catchphrase "It is what it is."  I tried repeating that to myself today to help keep my sanity.  Not sure that it worked, but I'm not sure I was any sort of sane to begin with.........

No comments:

Post a Comment