Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Opening Day

Yesterday was the Opening Day for baseball season.  This year was my second Opening Day, last year being the first.  This year was much warmer than last year.  This year's wardrobe was shorts, my Royals batting practice jersey, and my Royals sweatshirt for part of the day.  Last year's wardrobe was jeans, long sleeve shirt, Royals powder blue golf jacket, and Royals sweatshirt, and gloves.  Definitely preferred this year's weather!

We got to the stadium early and walked around.  Not as much hype as last year.  I still enjoy walking by the fountains though.  In my opinion, that has been the coolest part of the stadium renovation.  For 34 years of my life, the fountains were a forbidden area, now you can walk behind them, in front of them, it is so cool!  We went through the Hall of Fame again.  I had my camera this time so I took some pictures.  I love the #5 made out of baseballs for George Brett.  Rivaled only by the pine tar bat and home plate.

Grienke pitched an okay game.  He held the Tigers to only 2 runs, one of which was unearned.  Willie Bloomquist made some absolutely amazing plays at 3rd base.  He really needed to after he missed the pop fly at the mound (I thought it was a tough catch but they still gave him the error).  I was a little disappointed that Alberto, Mitch Maier, and Mike Aviles didn't play.  The three guys with the best batting average coming out of Spring Training and they sit the bench on Opening Day.  WHAT THE HECK?!?!?  I was happy to see that Mark Grudzielanek started at 2nd base for Cleveland and that Mark Teahen started at 3rd base for Chicago.

The start of baseball season also signals the beginning of Fantasy League Baseball.  I am in a league with a bunch of guys.  A few former CC teachers (Larry, Sonny), some former students and a couple of guys I don't even know.  Wouldn't you know my week one match up is against Ray's Ghosts (aka my husband's team).  He is going down!!!!  In case you are wondering the name of my team is Tanaka's Marbles.  If you haven't seen Major League 2 then that won't make much sense, if you have I'm sure you are replaying the scene in your head as you finish reading this sentence.  Maybe I'll post a video if I can find it...........

No comments:

Post a Comment