Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Another Wednesday


1. What does it mean to have the 'holiday spirit'?
I am one of those folks that if I did not see anything Christmas related until mid-December, I would be fine.  Don't get me wrong....I love Christmas.  I just don't love Christmas stuff hanging next to the Halloween costumes.  Holiday spirit has sadly been overrun by commercialization.  Let me observe Halloween, Thanksgiving, and then let me think about Christmas.
 
2. What sits atop your tree (s)? Why?
This year I finally found a suitable tree topper for my tree.  It is a metal and plastic, antique looking star that I found at Wal-Mart.  On the top of our other tree sits Sluggerr.  He has adorned the top of the sports tree for many years since we lost the top of the tree (long story).

3. When was the last time you gave yourself a pat on the back?
This is one of those things that I should probably learn how to do more often.  I do not tend to blow my own horn (no pun intended).  I'm learning that maybe sometimes it is okay to make people aware of what you do.  Something in brain has a hard time with that though.  I would rather the focus be on the kids, not on the person whose backside you see all the time.
 
4. Which of your senses is most sensitive this time of year?
Wow, Mrs. Hays pretty much summed it up.  Do we really have to send some of these kids home for 2 weeks? 

5. What do you have too much of in your kitchen?
COLD AIR!!!!  Its on the north side of the house with what I am sure is not an energy rated door.  The other night the door knob was as cold as a can a pop you pull out of the fridge.  There is also a basement underneath so the floor is also freezing!

6. What do you do for meals on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? Big meal? Breakfast tradition? Open the cookie tins and have at it?
It kind of depends on where we are.  On the Groening side, ham, sausage, zwieback, and then a huge snack tray after we open presents.  On the Helmer side, casenoodle, ham, and the best sugar cookies in the world.  The Brenzikofer celebration usually includes a meal which we breeze right through to get to the pies and then some wine with a vicious game of Michigan Rummy or Pitch.
 
7. What is the best thing about winter?
Anytime the wind is NOT blowing.
 
8. Insert your own random thought here--Only 5 more days to survive!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment