Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Santa's Workshop

Anyone who grew up getting the Wichita television stations rushed home after school (or as fast as the yellow bus could get you there) to watch Santa's Workshop.  My sister-in-law and I have had several discussions about the virtues of Toyboy versus Kakeman.  Kakeman is the first edition of Santa's little helper.  I don't know when they started calling him Toyboy but that is the only name I remember him by. 

Toyboy will always be number one in my heart.  I don't know if its the voice or the fact that he gets away with so much behind Santa's back............ They just don't make shows like this anymore.

5 comments:

  1. You are so right about rushing home to watch this. If a bus can rush??? Do you remember who was the sponsor? Surely someone was selling these toys?

    ReplyDelete
  2. KAKE-TV in Wichita always had it on. I don't think there was a sponsor persay. Henry Harvey played Santa Claus. They have tried to bring it back with his son playing Santa but the voice of Toyboy just isn't the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kakeman was the first, when Otasco sponsored Santa's Workshop on Channel 10....he became 'Toyboy' for obvious reasons when Channel 12 picked it up in the later years....you know, it seems like David's Dept Store was a sponsor too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oklahoma Tire and Supply - they had all the great toys, and the sales staff loved to play with them! I refused to believe the truth about Santa until I was in the second grade. Santa said he was leaving on Christmas Eve to deliver the toys. I ran to the window to try to catch a glimpse of his sleigh overhead. That's when the cognitive dissonance finally caught up with me.

      Delete