Thursday, June 3, 2010

YMCA and McDonalds cups

This week I have been helping with the State FFA Band.  I really did not know what to expect when I volunteered for this.  I was in FFA when I was a student at good old MHS, but I never attended State Convention.  FFA kids are really great kids and when you add in the band kid factor, believe me, you are in for an interesting time.  This week I have learned really bizarre facts about all the band members, learned how to play "Ninja," marveled at some physical feats, and worked with them on a lot of great music.

Tonight was the first of two performances.  It was fairly informal as it was before the evening session.  We had worked up 8 pep band type tunes and played while members were entering the auditorium.  The crowd was so awesome!!!  They were clapping and singing along and I don't think there was anyone in their seats for the state officer candidates leading the YMCA dance at the end.



Tomorrow's performance will include some pop music and we will end with "God Bless America."  It has been an absolutely amazing week and I hope I get the opportunity to work with this group again.

So what does McDonalds cups have to do with this??  We are doing a percussion ensemble piece called "Fast Food."  It calls for 3 different sizes of cups with lids and straws.  The performers are supposed to move the straw up and down in rhythm.  We of course, are going to put our own special twist on this, thanks to the creative ideas that the group has come up with.  It should be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment