Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Walking rulebook

My husband's knowledge of the basketball rulebook never ceases to amaze me.  He can quote specific rules word for word.  He can turn right to them in the book when need be.  At times I would think this would be annoying to the officials that call his games.  I mean, who wants the coach pointing out a mistake and quoting the rule from the book??  I wonder how he liked it when coaches did that when he was officiating?


At his last game, this freakish ability worked in his favor.  He is down to one timeout and there is less than a minute left in the game.  He needs the clock to stop so they can set up their press.  During a free throw he calls over one of his players and he tells him that if the other team scores, to step out of bounds, which is a violation.  He then pulls the official over and tells him what is up to make sure it is called and the clock stops.  I, of course, missed all of this due to my statistical duties.  The other team comes down and scores and our player steps out of bounds, official blows whistle, clock stops.  I now know that there is a delay of game call in the game of basketball.  Who knew??

I would like to add that quoting the basketball rulebook is only one of his many talents.  He has this bizarre human GPS thing going on too.  It doesn't matter where we go, he always knows where he is going.  St. Louis, Chicago, Phoenix.....it doesn't matter.  The only time he has been lost it was compliments of a Chicago cab driver who didn't know how to get to Wrigley Field. 

No comments:

Post a Comment