Sunday, January 17, 2010

Basketball Overload???

I think I am suffering from basketball overload.  Between the other coach in the house and I we have seen over 20 basketball games this week.  My personal count was 13, his was a little higher thanks to officiating a 4-6 grade boys tournament.  This year I got back into coaching.  I hadn't coached the last couple of years because of job duties, but the closing of a school and shuffling of assignments, it has allowed me some free time.  So when asked if I would be interested in coaching the 7th grade boys, I played it cool for about 5 minutes before making up my mind.  I didn't realize how much I missed it until the first practice.

They are a great group of guys.  Good attitudes, no behavior problems, just a fine group of young men.  Our season started out with 2 of the toughest 7th grade teams I have ever seen.  I think both these teams could have beat most high school JV teams.  I am thinking things can only get better from here on out.   The only negative about our season is the 6:30 am practices.  I am one of those people who really likes sleep so 5:45 am is not really a pleasant experience.  Luckily, they have a great attitude about it and come into practice awake and ready to run and that makes it a lot easier to endure. 

Being a head coach is a lot different than being an assistant.  I have worked with 2 different head coaches, oddly enough they were brother and sister.  They taught me a lot about the game of basketball and how to teach it to young people.  I have also learned a lot by being married to a coach.  Thanks to him I am a statistical wizard and I have stolen his stat sheets, practice schedule outline, and numerous clipboards.  I have seen numerous creative ways to recieve a technical foul (many of which I will not try).  Until you are in the huddle with 14 sets of eyes staring at you for guidance it doesn't really sink in. 

Since I finally have a day off I think I will turn on the TV and see if there are any basketball games on.

No comments:

Post a Comment