Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What's with my blog title??

I have been saving the explanation for the title of my blog for some day when I couldn't think of anything better to write about.  Today would be that day.  The reasoning is two-fold.

First, "Against the Grain," is one of my favorite Garth Brooks songs.  I pretty much love everything that Garth has done musically.  I have seen him in concert twice.  He has the reputation of putting on one heck of a show and after watching him swing out over the crowd in Bramlage Colesium I would have to agree wholeheartedly.  He is the ultimate showman.  So many of his songs are on my top twenty list, "The Dance," "The River,"  "Standing Outside the Fire,"  "We Shall Be Free,"  the list goes on.  "Against the Grain" was the theme song for many a FFA speech during my high school days, along with "Life's a Dance" by John Michael Montgomery.  There are so many truths in this song and at times I feel like he was describing me.  I'm don't know if folks call me a maverick or not, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the least bit diplomatic, I've never been the kind to go along.  I admit I tend to sing a different song. 

The second reason for this title is thanks to my former employers at Carlson's Grocery.  Since my last name was Groening (pronounced grain-ing), they decided that my nickname shall forever be Grains.  It brings back memories of biscuit fights in the back room, flinging meat at each other, fronting the shelves with my physics notes taped to the shelves, building forts out of toilet paper and pop.....ah, those were the days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment