Monday, January 25, 2010

I LOVE Mondays!!

No, I am not being smart-you-know-what.  I love Mondays!  Monday nights I have band rehearsal in Concordia.  I get to play.  I don't have to rehearse.  I don't have to worry about anyone's missed notes other than my own.  I get to sit and play and let someone else do all that.  Our director is an extremely cool guy.  He came to Kansas from California so it is interesting to just sit and talk and get his impressions of Kansas. 

Right before Christmas we sightread through Bob Foster's arrangement of "Home of the Range."  It was fun to watch his facial expressions while we played.  It is amusing to hear non-Kansans talk about our state song.  Outside our borders no one really takes the song seriously, and why would you?  Where the deer and the antelope play?  Really??  He evens adds the line "and the cyclones are blowing all day."  We as Kansans however, treat it as one of the most patriotic tunes ever written.  We play it slow and with reverance.  He didn't really get it until he heard a bunch of Kansans play an arrangement by a Kansan of Kansas' state song. 

So tonight I get to go play, and I get to play bass clarinet no less.  Don't get me wrong, I like the clarinet, but bass has always been my love.  Yep, I love Mondays!

No comments:

Post a Comment